Re: [Chrysler300] Powersteering fluid

My understanding is that PS fluid is closer to, if not, a hydraulic pump fluid, like you would use in hydraulic systems, except it has some additives to not break down with high temperatures.

Transmission fluid is similar in that it's a hydraulic fluid, but it also contains additives they refer to as "friction modifiers" so the internal clutches don't slip. It also has the high  temperature additives and I believe it also has a detergent additive.

A Chrysler engineer once explained to me the difference between Dexron (spec'd for Chrysler products, similar to "Type A") and "Type F" that Ford spec'd for their cars. The Type F had more friction modifiers in the fluid and using it in a Mopar trans would make the clutches slip less and gave a firmer shift. He was recommending it for any serious performance or race car and actually said that the trans clutches would actually last a little longer. In a southern drawl, he said "But you don't want it in Mommy's Imperial because you can feel it shift".

Fun fact, if you run out of speedy dry, it's winter time and you dump a drain pan of trans fluid on your shop floor, snow does a pretty good job of absorbing the spilled fluid. You end up with a pile of red snow, and that's probably not real environmentally friendly these days, but it works.

John