Re: [Chrysler300] Hood — and catch issue too 300C to E

Re: [Chrysler300] Hood — and catch issue too 300C to E

Very common problem , as you know . We made stiffer springs , the most that would fit in that restrained space , and later took a half turn off a careful max force design by a professional spring company . That engineer told me the stock  Chrysler spring design took the spring beyond the yield point at full stretch which means loss of pull over time , as it takes a “set” (Issue 1)
Issue two , I believe springs and hinge were designed for shorter presumably lighter NY Er hood , they grabbed them for 300 despite more nose weight so design became more marginal . .. in that way . Yet some stay up .. ??!!! I have 4 , one almost falls even with new spring — still . Gentle wind closes it , hate that. Others ok ....
Issue 3:
I think that over the years cars have been repainted and bondo etc added around grill on hood etc making front end heavier .something to avoid  or fix at repaint for sure . Possibly lighten ?
Issue 4 :
We have noted two different arrangements of metal hood braces and reinforcements under the hood . One may be heavier
Last , Related and IMPORTANT just found out last week that it is  possible to misadjust the projection of the “ dart” with the cone end  by screwing it inward too far  , such that it only latches on top section of dual level factory latch setup . Generally a half inch or more of thread shows below upper nut at hood , with or without an accessory safety catch .
If prong is put in correctly , hood will jump up a half inch when you pull release. If it is caught on upper latch plane only , hood does not jump up .. ( assuming spring there under the bottom of latch is ok ) .
Also heads up : a mount bolt too long was used there , at reassembly on mine , preventing that spring from depressing .
If your hood does not jump up , you may have this issue .
John
Sent from my iPhone not by choice

> On 19 Sep 2020, at 11:51 pm, Byron Long blongs2usnow@xxxxxxx [Chrysler300] <Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I have 59 300E that seems to have a problem having the hood stay up.  I put new heavy springs on (from the group) and didn't really help... I don't really see any adjusting points.  Is the good suppose to click and kinda lock in the up position?  It acts like the hood is just too heavy for the springs to counter it... any ideas are appreciated... thanks Byron
>
> Sent from my iPhone

> For list server instructions, go to http://www.chrysler300club.com/yahoolist/inst.htm
>
> For archives go to http://www.forwardlook.net/300-archive/search.htm#querylang
>
> Yahoo Groups Links