RE: {Chrysler 300} 300G Records to track down VIN

There is no guarantee, should a track sheet be found in the vehicle, that it actually is the correct track sheet for the vehicle.  We have several examples of where that has occurred, including my J.

Carl B.

From: Rich Barber
Sent: Saturday, November 7, 2020 6:22 PM
To: chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; nicksgaragesd@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: {Chrysler 300} 300G Records to track down VIN

The Body Plate/Fender Tag does not have any of the VIN data directly.  There is a remote possibility that the Track Sheet still exists-tucked in behind the rear-seat springs.  On our ’64 and other year Track Sheets, the Track Sheet has the last four digits of the VIN and the Schedule Order date.  The SO date can be used to determine the first two-three digits of the sequence portion of the VIN fairly accurately. Leading to a complete VIN as all 300’s in a given model year (beginning in 1960)  have the same first four digits in their VIN. All 300-G VIN’s start with 8413.

I have been collecting matched pairs of SO and VIN for ’64 Chryslers and was able to develop an equation to calculate the SO date from the VIN or vice-versa.  Excel produces a number for any given date after 1-1-1900.  To calculate the VIN given the SO date from the Body Plate, the equation would be: VIN (just the six digit extension)=588.235*(SO-23082).  Example:  SO=0101=1/1/64=23,377 (Number of days past 1-1-1900)  Thus VIN=588.235(23377-23082)=588.235*295=173529  And the total VIN would be 8413 173529.  This may have already been done for model years other than this 1964 example.  Since several hundred+ Chryslers might be manufactured on any given day, this method is not precise but it could provide a quick check of whether the VIN and SO date are a reasonable match.

Owners of 1964 Chryslers: Please send me a matched pair of the SO date and the last six digits of the VIN of your car.  I would especially appreciate receiving data for August-October 1963 and June ’64 SO dates to improve the accuracy and define the range of the equation.  The linear relationship might be weak at the ends.  1960-65 aficionados:  I’d be glad to send you the Excel spreadsheet I used to develop the VIN/SO relationship for the ‘64’s.

Rich Barber

Brentwood CA