A 1964 and later differential, or any Sure Grip differential, cannot be used with 1959-1963 rearends and axles originally equipped with an open differential. The original axles must be machined or original Sure Grip length axles must be used.

Section 3 contains housing and axle sizes and part numbers for these early 8-3/4" rearends.

Charlie in Ottawa

On 2020-12-10 3:16 pm, 'Rich Barber' c300@xxxxxxx [Chrysler300] wrote:

Rick:

The 1964  "Service Technical Manual" shows the 2.76:1 differential was standard in Newport's and New Yorkers so should be easy to source.  I believe the pinion shaft and U-joints in Newport's were of smaller diameter than those in NY's.so you might take that into consideration for strength and boltup to your K's rear U-joint.  Your speedometer pinion would need to be changed from 19-tooth dark blue to 16-tooth brown. Axle lengths are same for conventional or Sure-Grip.  You are probably aware that the rear brake drums on our '64's are hard to remove.  Special tooling and techniques may be required.  Ask if you need guidance.

Do let us know how much greater MPG you get after the change and whether top-end speed was increased or decreased.

Rich Barber

In sunny CA, surrounded by Covid 19 cases and Governor's lockdown.  So far, so good.