Re: {Chrysler 300} Engine/Transmission Rebuild

Re: {Chrysler 300} Engine/Transmission Rebuild

Just a semi grey beard observation on this,
Really should send to Don V unless you are truly experienced. Out of maybe ten - 15 trans rebuilt over the past 30 + years including two by George, I had hassles with about half, including both done by George.He made good on one , no problem, other than all the logistic hassle it caused,   the other one was not found out till installed years later. Aside from making good, the issue is cars are hung up on lift, junk from failures gets into converters, packing, shipping back and forth twice, mechanic labor 4 times, etc on and on. lots of wasted time and $. Aggravation....

Just sayin... Exhaust has to come down, converter changed or cleaned, E brake, the  shift cable party starts. etc etc . When Don  took apart he found some errors. something left out . Plus many of our cars have "Plymouth transmissions " from failures long ago taken to Amco trans, you got next  one off the Amco shelf, may not have the larger array of clutch discs in a 300 trans, different governor  etc.

While on this, I learned from Don the hard way that different parts from different years do not always interchange due to tolerance and design changes.Do not take trans apart into  boxes of "trans parts" which i did, causing hassles when all mixed up. Keep one trans together  or its parts. Cover the input splines carefully  with good grease and a plastic bag and store full of fluid, then bag whole thing.  If you just put in a corner even climate controlled they rust inside.I Had dragged around three cores for years,were of no use when opened due to that. Same thing happened to Bruce Brownell on several rebuilt ones....

We also had a C trans that JY had in and out 5 times , no reverse , trans seemed and was perfect. Drove us crazy. It turns out the reverse blocker valve was coming out due to slight governor residual pressure when stopped , that  pressure was correctly  blocking reverse--trans thought it was moving in a forward direction ---when it was in fact stopped. . An Awfully subtle thing , as when out of car not running, or pan off, the blocker valve goes back into hiding. Don told me to check(!)  Found it! Stuff like that can drive you crazy, in and out of car so many times. Gets real old real fast.
Anyway, trying to help, FYI, --it is something where experience is just so valuable.... and the usable  cores are, not surprisingly, drying up....
John