Re: {Chrysler 300} starters

Hi
All I know about starters is the
1962 up aluminum torqueflites . Their is a factory
1.5 HP version used sold till
Around 1974. Then a 1.8 HP
Version came out for big blocks 400,440. It is slightly
Longer. This became standard around 1979-80.
Then around 1988 Chrysler
Switched to the Nipondenso
Style 2HP. This can be used
On all 1962-1990s torqueflite
Equipped cars 170-440 CID
Engines except Hemis.
Hope this helps.

Bob Haag

> On May 8, 2021, at 9:44 AM, John Grady <jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> while not really a question ,—  more what do we collectively know about starters / interchanges ?
> way back in 1960 I put a stick behind a 392 with all 57 D500 Dodge parts , included 11” Band B clutch flywheel -/ I later found it was used in large Dodge trucks  , probably many mopar  stick shift . I used the Dodge Bendix style “one big wire “ starter from D500 which had a LOT of trouble cranking the 392 . But it fit ok . This type of starter uses a Ford style round solenoid switch on firewall .
> After getting into 300 , they used ( on TF ) the type of starter with a gear pull in solenoid   on top of it , that has a large and small wire and uses a rectangular relay to pull in the big engage solenoid . ( takes like 30 amps unlike 1 amp of a Relay)
> I later found out there are two lengths of the big starter , the longer one having more power and used on the 300 392 —- if not even more large engines ; sometimes they sell you the short 2 wire one , as replacement — marginal cranking of 392 ( does 392 fit B block?) .
> I never saw a B or RB block without a large 2 wire starter , but presently working on 58 dodge with 383 ( correct early 4 bolt valve covers iron trans , only a 361 is listed , first B block — for 58 — possible prior swap ? of 383 lower block but same issue ) So it presently has a two wire starter , but PO ? hooked yellow start wire direct onto engine starter solenoid (totally wrong with no relay —- the wire and ign switch amps are way too small ) .
> So I bought a 58 Dodge service manual trying to find out . Only print it shows are for a one wire “ Ford style” 318 style starter ( kinda weak) on the 361/383 . I never saw a one wire B block starter before . Kind of says they all might mechanically interchange ?
> So on 58 I am rewiring it to add 300 F style rectangular relay for the existing 2 wire starter . ( best way to start !) . I am lucky harness did not burn up .
> This brings up readily available modern late “ Hitachi style” small size hi torque starters ( 2 wire) too . Anyone know what fits what mechanically ? auto / stick A and B blocks ? I have been told the last B blocks used this type stock ( Córdoba  era)
> As an aside Hot Heads sells original style 392 starters rebuilt . the good stuff . But if later B block fit ,  that is a non issue  . And did it change with 727 ? 440 era?
> I vaguely remember street hemi had a special starter on stick shift versions .. flywheel tooth count changed .
> Possibility for confusion large and many different part numbers may in fact all mechanically fit ..
> Good to know what is in front of you as cars get older ..  or upgrades ..
> All this caused by 58 dodge B block with two wire starter .  factory says one wire.
>  FYI ,
> John
>
> Sent from my iPhone not by choice

> [...]

---