From: John Grady
Sent: Monday, May 24, 2021 3:21 PM
To: Tim
Cc: chrysler 300 club
Subject: Re: {Chrysler 300} Luminescence

actually not bad to fix, other than dash access if it comes to that . G sometimes has a small in line fuse tied  to harness behind the directional switch to protect dimmer switch resistor in headlight switch from shorts in the EL lighting power pack  . It is not usually on print . F does not have it .

check if  12 v lights work (located  in heater switch , TF push buttons , — work dimmer back and forth on headlight switch . if 12 v regular lights will only come on at one end dimmer has  been hurt . Sometimes just intermittent, dirty — work back and forth a lot fixes it . But leave at there ( full on) to troubleshoot EL with those 12 v lights full on . If they don’t work = 12 v problems not EL problem — as EL power supply runs off same dash light 12 v dc(  orange wires) .

if the 12 v lamps work , may be defective EL power supply , located over driver kick panel way up . 2 wire connector ,orange  12 v in 250 white ac out . ( some occasionally have other colors)  250 in dash harness is usually white wires, red plastic connectors .  the capacitor  inside the power supply fails , easy fix , should change it anyway . Radio shack , order from mouser ,  or ham radio guy . White cylinder .

Any short in any gauge will  kill all of them , kills the 250 ac .  So if all is working , 250 ac coming out of power supply ,  when not connected to car white wires, have to unplug one gauge at a time to find shorted one ( arrgh) , the rest will immediately light up .

Probably will have to send a bad gauge to gauge guy , there is one in club . fine wires connect needles to ac , they break off . Can touch ground etc

Can get to most of this test through lower cover under speedo dome . Electrical guy might be more help than mechanic if it gets dicey ! Tach and clock and radio have the white wire feeding in too .

Best of luck , John G

Sent from my iPhone not by choice