Re: {Chrysler 300} 300C brakes

those brakes are ~ 60 buick drums . the buick shoes are 3” wide and mopar 2.5 , and the buick drum has aluminium fins . Buick brakes are great , pre disc, the best .  Used on hot rods then. I think this guy used 2.5  mopar shoes in an adapted Buick drum . Wheel bolt pattern changes , lots more to do that . Great idea for racing . Both 12” .
But this Buick thing is more to do with repetitive braking and steady cooling , as in racing , not street 300 . I doubt you would notice any difference at all in “ stopping power” , except  after 4-5 hard stops in a row . we don’t do that .
After many many suffering years , I think all the “ problems “ with our brakes are due to incorrect fit or match of shoe diameter as installed in the drum . factory info describes all that , precisely , follow it. but “turning drums”  and throwing in new shoes is a total disaster . I takes 1500 + miles before it works. ( voice of sad multiple experiences — maybe 8–  going back to 1970) and brake experts are generally clueless about all this with two leading shoes . If you don’t fit it right , the shoes initially touch in a 1 inch patch , = terrible braking  . And brake shoe grinding to match drum as factory described ( routine back then)  is non existent . Lesson : don’t grind your old  drum use matching old shoes if life in them .   scratches/ grooves  do not matter imho .
Lesson 2 , buying new stuff results in poor brakes .
Stock brakes are pretty good , back in the day they won races etc .But almost never “  restored” correctly by 2021 brake guy in the sense of fit to drum .  I had a brand new 60 dodge terrific brakes lasted for 60 k miles and no power .
just sayin ...
Sent from my iPhone not by choice
jkg