{Chrysler 300} horn grounding / intermittent horn

{Chrysler 300} horn grounding / intermittent horn

I have seen many posts on this and I have gotten into the mickey mouse copper strip in the lower rubber steering coupler , an absolute bear to repair , as typically involves pulling the column . It is often damaged , misshapen or not installed right or even left out . In my case a few years back left out . I drilled and tapped holes in the F parts and used a wire jumper .

An observation while recently working on the 57-59 directional switch and upper column , ——the timken style bearing at the top is pushed by a spring under the steering wheel into close contact —- this should ground the steering shaft through the bearing and spring to the steering column shell . Thinking about this , then why the copper strap ? It turns out the outer column tube has a rubber wrap in the clamp at the dash , and a rubber bushing / clamp at the connection to  the steering box , so it can “ float “ electrically (!) .(??) .. unintended I am sure, intent being vibration isolation .
It would seem a jumper wire just from the column jacket to ground would make the horn work , avoiding all the shaft coupler ground stuff . On FGH , the screws that hold  directional cancel switch would be good , CDE drill and tap column below wire exit, short screw?
I don’t have the problem at the moment but someone who does might try it — and let us know!

Sent from my iPhone not by choice

---