Re: {Chrysler 300} Kit for Electronic Ignition Conversion 1961 Chrysler

Re: {Chrysler 300} Kit for Electronic Ignition Conversion 1961 Chrysler 300G

Hello All -

Regarding John Grady's and Dan Plotkin's experience - Like many of you, I was aware of the somewhat spotty reputation of some of the Pertronix ignition conversions, and I researched the many comments on multiple automotive boards.  I spoke directly with a representative at Pertronix about my specific applications (1957 Chrysler 392 Hemi and 1967 Porsche 912).  He readily acknowledged those complaints and said that the Company had made several incremental changes to improve reliability, and then (not defensively) explained what they  felt was the source of most of the failures.  The first was failure to supply a constant 12 volts to the Pertronix unit, instead of the reduced voltage supplied (after startup) through the ballast resistors commonly used to reduce erosion of the original points.  Whatever is in the Pertronix Hall-effect magnetic sensor does NOT survive long with that reduced voltage.   The other factor was that the Pertronix kit was adversely affected by the back-EMF Radio Frequency Interference inherent in early wire-core ignition cables like the ubiquitous Packard 440, and therefore RFI- suppressed resistor wires were required.  He acknowledged that the instructions included with each kit did NOT adequately emphasize those requirements for 12v supply and resistor ignition wires (including coil), and agreed that he would transmit those recommendations to his upper management for clarification in future instruction sheets.   He said that the Pertronix units would sometimes fail within six to 24 months if the correct voltage and ignition wires were not supplied; it was literally running on borrowed time from the outset.

The rep also pointed out that some older coils may have experienced degradation (often through heat and vibration) that caused their resistance to exceed the specification range required by the Pertronix sensor.  That is especially true with their newer Ignitor II kits, which require a coil with very low resistance, approximately 0.6 ohms, compared to the typical 3 ohms with most older coils.   He also recommended the epoxy-filled versions of their coils for improved tolerance to heat and vibration.

I suspect that if many of the previous complaints about failures were fully researched, we would find that the (admittedly poorly disclosed) operational parameters of the Pertronix kit were not met, either initially or during subsequent operation.

Call Pertronix directly  at  (909) 493-5467 if you have questions; I found their representative to be quite knowledgeable, patient and genuinely interested in providing the best product for your application.  (NO affiliation)   https://pertronixbrands.com/

Ray Melton  (Yes, I HATED adjusting the dual points on my '57, even with a dwell meter - crawling into the mouth of the "Whale", bracing myself on the carburetor for 40 minutes of trial-and-error inside the distributor, standing tippy-toes on a stepstool over the fender, YUK!