Re: {Chrysler 300} Kit for Electronic Ignition Conversion 1961 Chrysler

Re: {Chrysler 300} Kit for Electronic Ignition Conversion 1961 Chrysler 300G

I've run the Pertronix Ignitor 2 for several years in a couple of different International Harvester V8's(304 & 345 in Scouts and Light Line pickup)- IH actually offered a version of the original Ignitor as an accessory in the 70's...the Ignitor 2 is the red sensor used together with the Hall magnet that rides under the rotor. I have only had good luck when using their low resistance Flamethrower coil. I have had a few failures, and after many hours/ days of looking for the reason, discovered that I had an intermittent/ defective Neutral Safety Switch connection, a few inches from the switch itself in the factory connector. I finally changed this and used marine, waterproof heat shrink connectors, and it solved the problems. Observations: even though the red Ignitor 2 is advertised as very tolerant of hard use, and such things as leaving the primary igition circuit closed with the engine not running(ign. switch left on), it doesn't like intermittent supply voltage- like my problem. 3 of them burned out when my Neutral Safety Switch was acting like a Morse Code key. Also, even though these are said to be more forgiving about the distance b/n the sensor and the magnet- they need a good condition distributor, I had a distributor with a bad shaft, and it was not consistent- essentially a wobbly shaft/ bushing...I carry spares of the sensor and the coil...as well as a whole distributor rigged with the original points and a factory coil. I've had to use it too. Once I figured out this Neut. Saf. Sw. problem, and the bad shaft, they have been going great for years. The Pertronix(especially Ignitor 2) is really a great system...just a little finicky about good connections and steady voltage. I have not used it yet, however in my F...my dual points are running fine! ...and the condenser is a good Blue Streak.

John Kuegel

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 7:03 PM, angad22