Re: {Chrysler 300} Kit for Electronic Ignition Conversion 1961 Chrysler

Re: {Chrysler 300} Kit for Electronic Ignition Conversion 1961 Chrysler 300G

I think there is a little misunderstanding in some of these posts?
if you listen carefully , Carl correctly explains clearly you can get the 12 v module operating voltage directly to the module via the red wire placed on the hot end of the ballast — but note the ballast will still remain in series with the coil to protect it  ! Leave that alone !

Thus  there are two feeds to deal with - not one   .

. So apparently the red wire is powering the electronic circuitry , nothing to do with ballast or coil current part of circuit . It is obviously the correct way .

Second , the coil can only take a certain current that is set by the summation of the coil ohms and ballast R ohms . Too much current will overheat it . You need that total resistance to get to the design value of around  5-7 amps , says ~ 2 ohms or so . More current will overheat the coil at idle , when dwell time between sparks is long . Special low ohm coils need special ignitions . Don’t mix this up .
All the hype about high performance or high volt coils are advertising junk . More coil volts = less current = less heat ( just like a welder ).  Coil watts for the physical size of it are constant , Volts times  Amps . Just like a power transformer — On Secondary side  too . A watt second is a joule , or millijoule ,  the energy you have . Better to have the correct lowest voltage needed ( 25-40kV )  and higher current for a hot spark !!! Can’t have more of one without cutting the other  , no free lunch .

Lower primary coil ohms or no ballast means burned points or overstressed  modules that get hot . ( HEI gm actually controls the current — how they get away with no ballast ) .
The factory engineering guys who designed all this knew all of these variables far better than any aftermarket guy trying to sell you stuff , and it is very highly optimized  stock . over 100 years of optimizing ....

The big issue in high performance is the dwell at high RPM — not these other things . Points are open too long , between sparks, the spark weakens . There is not enough time to fill up the coil , before the next spark, which takes  a known time L/R .  ( note more L , (bigger coil ) takes longer , R larger fills faster (!) . = Ballast helps!!!

Electronic igniting greatly increases dwell at high RPM as it closes  the circuit again right after a spark , so a better fill up of coil , good for another 1000 rpm . Single points are starting to hurt at 4500 rpm . That exact same concern is why we have our dual points , second set closes immediately after first opens , that increases dwell . But very very fussy to set perfectly . You have to use a dwell meter .
Most of the issues and whining are because they are just not set right ( true!!!) and they always move as you tighten the screw  . old fashioned analog Dwell meter tells you that .
Related to Carl’s mention of grounding , the stock dual points ( when unmolested by an “expert “ ) have a bare grounding flex jumper from the moving plate to the fixed plate . If missing , make one ... I did not see it in Carl’s picture . And Thermal contact grease ( like used in power transistor mounting ) would help the pertronix live by keeping it cooler .
I share the feeling it seems to have very little heat sinking for the current being switched ... And yes on an electronic transistor switch you lose a volt , —-spark energy goes as E sq R , 13 sq is 169 , (~ 170 ) 12 sq is 144 . —hmmm . Why you see 16 v systems on drag racers . Maybe points are not so  bad if you want to win

Last , I looked at a lot of coils etc a few years back after getting irritated by wild claims and hype of Jacobs ignition ,Jacobs coils , MSD , Accell etc
the best “ stock” coil parameter set is ( not surprisingly , designed by GM in 1990’s) the potted E core external one used in Chevy trucks with HEI in 90’s .   ( not one in the cap) Ought to work well with our ballast R but non stock look . Cover the bow tie with a magic marker !
John
Sent from my iPhone not by choice