Re: {Chrysler 300} 64 300 360hp correct plug wire

Re: {Chrysler 300} 64 300 360hp correct plug wire

Hello Dave -

When I went searching for correct ignition wires for the restoration of my late father's 300C, of course there were none.  Not only that, but I wanted modern spiral-wound stainless steel RFI-suppressed resistance wires as required for the Pertronix ignition unit I was going to install.  So after asking folks here on the list server, a fellow sent me a photo of the old original lettering with the Autolite name, a part number and even "2QTR7", meaning manufactured "second quarter 1957".  He told me the lettering was repeated every 18 inches.    I special-ordered  25 feet of the correct 7mm black suppressed wire from Kingsborne Wireworks      www.kingsborne.com   Kingsborne Wire Werks Inc - Spark plug wires, Automotive, RV, Motorcycle, Marine, Racing, Industry.     Then I found a font in Microsoft Word that looked like the old photo, printed out the wording in a pretty small size to show on the plug wires and took it to a local graphic design place that makes vinyl lettering and designs for business doors, auto glass, etc.  They made me twenty small adhesive-backed STENCILS with the lettering cut out.  I had a friend route out some 3/8" grooves in a 1"x4" pine board to lay the wires in straight while I applied the stencils.  The original lettering appeared to be white, but I didn't want it to look TOO new, so I got some light gray vinyl paint that would stick to rubber while flexing and lightly sprayed the lettering.

In a similar vein, I found the p/n marking for the heater hoses and upper/lower radiator hoses and had stencils made for the heater hoses, and a rubber stamp made (Kinko's) for the radiator hoses.  I wiped the original "Gates" part number off the rubber with acetone and applied the stencils/stamps using the same light gray (like faded underhood) color.   I did the same thing with the shock absorbers:  the original "Oriflow" units were of course NLA, so I got some KYB gas shocks per recommendations by Club members, painted them black, and had tiny stencils made with the "Oriflow" name and an imaginary part number (I used the KYB p/n for front and rear) and painted the lettering in a light green (have NO idea what it originally looked like, and neither does anyone else!).  Took a lot of work for such tiny details; but it's a subtle, unique touch that the car show judges really appreciate.

Ray Melton  Las Cruces, NM