Re: {Chrysler 300} Cams

My F engine's just been rebuilt. Needed a new cam and some other parts. Block was good, bored and honed to .040 from its previous .030 by George Riehl in '06, over 67,000 miles ago.

Spoke with a shop a couple months ago here in suburban Chicago that specializes in building high performance Mopar motors, but it was backed up two years, so didn't use it. In our discussion, I mentioned to the owner I've been running Valvoline VR1 20W50 for the past several years, because on its higher zinc content. He strongly advised against running racing oil - said it contains no detergents, oxidizes as soon as the container is opened and loses viscosity fairly quickly. He said I should have been running a Hot Rod oil - Amzoil, Lucas, etc. - that's best for our older motors. I've seen several other comments by fellow Club members using VR1 oil, but are you running 5,000+ miles annually, as I've been doing?

To John Grady's just-emailed comment re viscosity, I'll be running 10W30 in my rebuilt motor.

When I drove my F to our Fall 2017 Lynchburg VA Meet, my oil was foaming out the oil fill cap and the downdraft tube when I pulled into the hotel's parking lot. Fellow members, Ralph Rhees, Jim Rockey, Marshall Goodknight and others diagnosed a slight seepage of antifreeze into my oil. Since leaving there, I've never again since seen this oil foaming. Now with the rebuild, we found my heads both had cracks in them, and both are now replaced.

Ralph and Jim also recommended that I have my oil analyzed at Blackstone Labs in Ft. Wayne, IN - Blackstone Laboratories (blackstone-labs.com). I've sent a sample from most of my oil changes since Lynchburg - inexpensive, mailed in small containers provided by Blackstone, and a comprehensive report is emailed within a week or two. As more samples are analyzed, the report presents the current and previous readings for trending comparative purposes, indicating engine health.

Noel Hastalis
F coupe