Re: {Chrysler 300} Power window motor

Hi Ron,
Often you can fix by carefully  opening and cleaning . What is wrong ? Specifically? Brushes stuck in their holder is common , as is a rusty circuit breaker thing near the brushes . You can jump that out , solder wire , it is there so if kids hold down switch , motor won’t burn .

If water gets in it ( nose of motor is up in some spots) it will sit in bottom , rusts everything solid , bearing then freezes to shaft in the  rust , it is junk then . I made tools etc trying to fix that — got no where as getting out the frozen bronze bearing “ ball”  always destroys a then rusty spring like thing holding it . I drill 060 holes now in all of them behind rear bearing so if water gets it it can get out . And one drop of 75w oil at back of bearing . See Also Jamie Hyde ideas of using valve guide seals on output shaft . The factory seals often shrink away . Can fix with rubber cement . They spin with the shaft .

Some good news though , later model year motors , sometimes coated in black tar will fit ,  If two wires on them usually green and  brown — sometimes larger body . but bolt spacing is the same .

 Motor is very special inside , two fields , easy way to get reversing . So ground - to frame + to one or other leads . Putting 12 on the two leads , it will not move and can burn it out . Mechanics sometimes do not understand EE of that .

I am not sure how long Chrysler followed this design , but switches like ours ( power and two wires to motor from switch  - = 3 switch  connections) point to same overall design . Even later , the permanent magnet type need reversing relay or DpDt 6 pin pole  reversing switch.  Can’t use those motors . Usually red and black wires on them .
To test ours in the door put 12 on one wire at a time  . -12 to ground .

Hope the info helps . Problem is almost never a  “ Re winding “ issue , it is brush stuck or rarely brush wear ——-or mechanical jam / rust / bearing .
Oil wrecks brush , commutator — you see that  too , if someone was in there .  Never over oil .
And of course , the nylon gear box gear gets stripped …
John.
Sent from my iPhone