Re: {Chrysler 300} Cruise control

I might be very wrong, but I seem to remember a blind man invented that cruise control by Perfect Circle.
                           Thanks,
                           Val J

Sent from my iPhone

On May 8, 2022, at 9:50 AM, Carl <cbilter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I agree with Don.  I’ve had Auto-Pilot on several different Imperials over the last 40 years and they all worked perfectly as designed.  I always took offense at clueless contemporary auto-editors referring to the unit as the “cave man” of modern cruise control.  It was very innovative for its time and, I believe, the first such device introduced on any American vehicle (in 1958).  And, as Don stated, the unit will automatically resume speed without pressing a “resume” button.  I also used the feature any time I went for a cruise in my ‘63 Imperial that I recently sold.  It held the selected speed surprisingly well.

I haven’t had one apart in decades but I do recall that they could be sometimes repaired.  IIRC they use a set of breaker points that can be cleaned/adjusted to yield a more consistent speed setting.

I have also seen mechanics completely screw up the linkage connections to the Auto-Pilot which can result in pedal resistance at low speeds or render the unit inoperative.

Carl B.

You need to read the owners manual to understand how the auto pilot is supposed to work. The "push back" on the pedal is to remind you that you are at the speed you selected, without having the auto pilot engaged. With it engaged, that is the point that it will re-connect after using the brakes to resume speed. Dial the speed knob all the way up if you don't it to work.

I use the auto pilot on my 66 Imperial all the time. It works quite well, and is not dangerous in any way. It will disconnect when you hit the brake, push the button in, or shut the key off. My old 300 L had it too and it also worked well. The repair manuals give you some testing options, but if the problem is found in the unit, they recommend replacing it.

Don