Re: {Chrysler 300} 56 Chrysler dash lights

Re: {Chrysler 300} 56 Chrysler dash lights

Hi ,
Just some quick info on this , I have not worked on a 56 .
57 however and many other years, there are three circuit breakers inside the headlight switch protecting the various lights  . they are self restoring thermal breakers will click on and off if overloaded .
However they are about 20 Amps to open and if a short happens on gauge lights the dimmer winding resistor on the headlight switch is in series with bulbs , and it won’t draw 20 Amps ,if a short ,  unless full on . What happens is resistor winding then lights up like a toaster and soon burns open .No lights .  Setting the dimmer to full on might bring back lights as resistor is out of circuit or if still shorted wiring the thermal breaker will click on and off .  On 57 up headlight switch it is the white ceramic thing at front of switch
Most shorts on this circuit happen right at the bulb sockets , wire gets frayed and touches socket metal . Happens trying to change bulb
I do not know about 56 but 57 through 61 at least they are orange wires . Is 56 plastic wire or still rubber?
May this helps the diagnostics at least , look at FSM or note color of wires out of bulb sockets on the gauges . You will find that color , usually 2-4 wires all together on one switch connection . Put voltmeter there , to ground you will know if dash light power exits switch , dimmer set to full on .
Good luck !
Jkg

Sent from my iPhone