RE: {Chrysler 300} 300D project for sale

In my restoration of a similar car, the point for me was to have a project/hobby for fun and the challenge, not necessarily a financial reward.  I wanted to do the work, but drew the line at bodywork and paint because I know my limits.  Hobbies usually cost money – so what if it makes you happy?  Don’t they say the experience of people who own sailing boats is like standing in a shower tearing up dollar bills?

Cheers

From: chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ray Melton
Sent: Saturday, 30 July 2022 6:02 AM
To: chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: {Chrysler 300} 300D project for sale

Having recently completed a five-year, >$80k re-restoration on my late father's 300C convertible that was already in MUCH NICER, multiple nationwide show-trophy condition (1978 - 1988) to begin with than this one, I predict that the next owner of this car will be financially underwater (vehicle worth less than total investment) within only a couple of months, even if he provides most of the labor himself (which, if he does, is not likely to lead to a top-notch restoration - no single individual is going to be able to address the rust repair, metal-working, engine rebuilding, electrical component renovation, upholstery material sourcing and installation, re-chroming, paint prep and application, suspension rebuilding, brake work, transmission rebuilding, etc., etc.!).   This car needs ALL of those issues addressed by true professionals using the best materials and processes available.  Itsa BIG job and takes a LOT of time and research to find the right people and get all the various jobs done at a dozen specialty sources all across the nation (and even overseas - for example, I had to buy a complete new $700 dash for my '57 from a fellow in Sweden, and I was grateful to find it ANYWHERE!)

The same shop that oversaw my restoration (minus all sublet jobs) charged $65/hr back then (2012-2017), but now his rate is $95/hr, and this is in impoverished southern New Mexico; I bet the labor rates are significantly higher everywhere else.  It's a killer.

In my case, I was motivated because of the close family tie to the car for over 30 years before my Dad passed away, and because the value of a restored convertible was going to be significantly higher than the corresponding coupe.  In this present case, lacking such personal involvement and potential financial reward, I wouldn't touch it even if delivered to my doorstep for free!   (Might have to pay me $30k just to take it!)

Forty years ago would have been a much different story.

Ray Melton    Las Cruces, New Mexico   1957 300C cvt, s/n 3N57 2517   White/Gauguin   "Big Red"