From: Dan Plotkin <dplotkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2022-08-05 11:07 a.m. (GMT-05:00)
To: 'Donald Verity' <chryslerdon@xxxxxxx>
Cc: 'chrysler 300 club' <chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: {Chrysler 300} Steering boxes.

My advice is that you listen to Don’s advice. Don replaced the rubber isolator at the end of the steering column and that made my F like new and a pleasure to drive. Previous to that I had a slight rocking of the column between 1 and 5 O Clock that felt as though the steering wheel was loose. The isolator barely shows up in the shop manual with no reference for its replacement. Not even a part number as far as I know. If not for Don I wouldn’t have known about that rubber isolators role in tight steering wheels , and Bob’s video is instructive on how to replace the rubber isolator. If the isolator is original in your car it is shot. If your horn is intermittent or not at all the problem can be there as well where the copper straps ground the column to the box.

Otherwise remember that as Don says Mopar steering boxes have play at rest that vanishes when the pump is running. I advise against any box adjustment which will make it tight in the center and fail to return. If the box has play while running and you have proven its not caused by worn steering parts, send the box out.

Danny Plotkin