Re: {Chrysler 300} 300H sales order numbers

Re: {Chrysler 300} 300H sales order numbers

If a 2DR body cannot be a
New Yorker. Their were no
2DR Newyorkers only Newports and 300 series
Sports or H.

Bob Haag

On Aug 14, 2022, at 1:37 PM, kmaniak via Chrysler 300 Club International <chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I find this to be a very interesting topic.  I presume that the 10 digit is stamped somewhere on the body shell.  If you could enlighten me I would appreciate it.

Typically the cars are staged on the assembly line by the "Sequence Order Number" or SO NUMBER on the body data plate.  This number is consists of two sets of four digits with the first four representing scheduled date of manufacture and second four digits representing the assembly line and line position.  Also, the make and model of car are represented by the first two digits on the VIN and the first two digits of the BDY number on the body data plate.  A Newport would have 81, a 300 would have 82, a New Yorker would have 83, and a  letter series 300 would have 84.

When I see the number 8305231246, I see a pattern.  The first two digits appear to be a make/model number, the third through sixth digits appear to be a date of scheduled assembly, and the last four digits appear to be the line number and line position.  If my hunch is correct, then this number would indicate Chrysler New Yorker (83), date of assembly May 23, 1962 (0523), built on Line 1 in position 245 (1246).

I understand you are convinced this is a 300H body shell.  Is there any distinctive feature within the body shell that confirms it was a 300H to the exclusion of all others?  I can't see it, so I don't know what you have.

I own an original 1962 300 2-door (8223).  Please tell me where I can find this 10 digit number on my car so I can compare it to my body data plate and VIN.  That would be quite helpful.

Chris the K MANIAC