Re: {Chrysler 300} 1958 300D Hood

Larry,

They are leaded on not brazed. I had one removed and replaced. Gary

From: John Grady
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2022 1:33 PM
Subject: Re: {Chrysler 300} 1958 300D Hood

Braze is usually a very good body shop repair .seldom done by body shop except very high end cars .  It seems way too time  consuming for a production line , ? impossible, gas manipulation cleaning filing after etc takes skill and lots of time But maybe a vendor made a low production hood like this in pieces .
Lead does not secure it ,lead is  only a filler -  under the  lead on bodies is a weld often crude . Braze is great stuff . It is as strong as steel for all practical purposes . And rust proof

I know there are at least two designs of 57-59 hoods , different brace set ups under the hood etc . ( from hood pin project ) . Maybe that means two small vendors made them .
It makes sense that that front nose would be hard to make in one large drawn steel piece with a large expanse of metal , so they made that separately and brazed on top — by a vendor . It may also be an excellent repair , something fell on hood  .
All conjecture , interesting thing .
Jkg
Sent from my iPhone