Re: {Chrysler 300} 300 leopord

Drew,

In the ‘70s I had a dark metallic green New Yorker that may have had the same problem as your car. At the time I blamed it on cheap Korean War paint that matched the cheap Korean War chrome. We spent an entire Saturday wheeling it down with rubbing compound to a pretty good looking glow. Gave it a couple of coats of wax too.  A month and a little weather later, the finish was just as dull as before we  put the work into it. Interestingly, when that car was wetted down, it looked great. But as soon as it dried, it was dull. In retrospect I believe the green paint was probably “micro-crazed” right down to the primer.

We didn’t have clear epoxy back then with which we may have been able to make it look wet and sparkly - and I probably couldn’t have afforded to have it done then anyway. But I wish I could have. I think it would have saved what was left of the green paint.

My thought for you would be to use a high power magnifying glass, or even a microscope, on your ‘62, and see whether you can tell the true condition of your red paint. Shot paint is the only reason your car would have spotted up the way it did. If it is micro-crazed, the only thing you can do is paint it over in red, or at least overcoat it with some clear impervious product.

One thing you could try would be to pick up a can of UPOL clear (or a similar clear coat) and try it on some small or obscure area to sample what the result of a full clear coat would be. Perhaps you could remove your vent grill at the windshield base, carefully scuff sand it with 2000 paper, and then carefully spray it with the clear.

In the meantime you may be able to remove the spots to some extent with distilled vinegar - a light acid that will eat the mineral deposit spots without harming the paint.

Good luck with it. Let us know how it comes out.

Keith Boonstra

-