{Chrysler 300} A fan solution (temporary?) in the making...

{Chrysler 300} A fan solution (temporary?) in the making...

On the 1964 300K with Air Conditioning, then clutch fan is missing and a regular fan was on the car. I went looking for the 18-inch clutch style fan without a lot of luck. I did find one steel fan that someone wrote about on a Dodge website, it tossed a blade through his hood. I did find a later NOS Dodge version on eBay for $250.

I went and beat the bushes and found a late 1990’s fan for a Ford or GM that was exactly 18 inches in diameter. It is a clutch fan. It has a steel base and a TWELVE BLADE nylon (or some such) fan. I do not know the pitch.

I got it today and it is about $75. The hub fits the Hayden 2947 perfectly. The bolt holes I suspect are metric and/or a little bit off pattern wise. I had to drill them out to 21/64 then shift them a little with a Dremel tool. One of the holes I did not have to do much other than drill it out.

I ordered some grade 8 studs, hardened washers, and grade 8 nylon lock nuts. I will red locktite the studs in and then place the washers on then the lock nuts and torque them to the Hayden recommended torque.

In a week or so, I will be up at out other residence where the ’64 is and I will do a trial fit to see if everything looks good. The only thing that may be an issue is the fore-aft placement. But One can always use a fan spacer to get it ½ in and ½ out of the shroud. This fan also weighs in at a lot less.

In any event. I hope this will hold me while I spend time hunting for a ’64 AC fan that is in very good shape. Who knows, if it pulls a lot of air at idle, I may just keep in in place and hang the steel one on the wall…

Best, James

---