RE: {Chrysler 300} 300F Shock Absorbers

Bob J:

The leaking KYB rear shocks has been noted on our listserver posts for about the last 10 years.  Some samples seem to leak; others do not.  We had an update in 2013 posted at the end of our shock installation tech page here:

The post is as follows:

2013 update on the rear shocks. Some users have noticed oil leaks from shocks after a tire change.
It may be that the KYB shock doesn't have sufficient stroke and bottoms out during a tire change, damaging the shock seals.
From the web, the KG5511 has an extended length of 21.57" and a compressed length of 13.39" for a stroke of 8.19"
The Monroe 31131 (Rock Auto recommendation for the 300K)
has an extended length of 23.375" and a compressed length of 14.125" for a stroke of 9.25"
While the KYB is 1.8"short on full extension and 1" short on stroke, I have had no problems with the KYB .

This problem evidently did not exist in older units, or had not been reported, suggesting a possible quality control problem as the basic shock design had not been altered by KYB as we know.

I had 2 of 4 rear shocks leak on 2 different cars.  Since then I do not let the rear ends dangle.

Carl B.