Re: {Chrysler 300} Passing of Burt Bouwkamp

Re: {Chrysler 300} Passing of Burt Bouwkamp

John and Fellow 300 Club Members,

We celebrate the life of Burt Bouwkamp. Our 'Burgers with Burt' gatherings at Keith's in 2017 and 2018 were indeed memorable. Visiting with Burt was truly visiting with Chrysler and Letter Car Royalty. Having started with Chrysler in 1951 following his graduation with a Masters in Engineering from Chrysler Institute, Burt helped develop Dodge's 241" Red Ram Hemi, then to DeSoto where he helped develop that Division's 276" Hemi, and then to Chrysler in 1954 working on the manufacture of the 331" Hemi under Bob Rodger.

Burt was also Chrysler's in-house technical contact to Carl Kiekhaefer. We can only imagine how some of those discussions played out!

Here's the link to Burt's speech from years ago, that he later published as a book, entitled "The Chrysler 300 on the Sands at Daytona Beach, 1955 through 1961"
https://www.allpar.com/threads/chrysler-300-letter-cars-racing-at-daytona-beach-1955-1961.228232/

You may also enjoy the videos in our Club's website of our visits with Burt.

Noel