                    Thanks,
                    Val J

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 28, 2022, at 2:33 PM, Noel Hastalis <cpaviper@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Following is a brief email exchange I had with Burt prior to our Club's September '21 Auburn Hills, MI Meet. We'll always remember him.
Noel

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Burt Bouwkamp <burtonbouwkamp@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Noel Hastalis <cpaviper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Keith Boonstra <kboonstra@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, john begian <r2gthawk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09/04/2021 11:06 AM
Subject: RE: A Chrysler 300-F question -

Dear Noel,

I think I am the only surviving member of the team that set the 300F stock car flying mile record at Daytona Beach in 1960. After I retired, the only team member that I kept in touch with was Gregg Zeigler. By coincidence, he was Chairman of the Board of Trustees of a retirement home (Wesley Willows) in Rockford, Illinois where my mother-in-law lived from 1985 until 1994. During that period, I saw Gregg a couple of times when we visited my wife’s mother.

All six 300F’s had 400HP short branch ram engines with Pont-A-Moussin transmissions. We probably built 10 to 12 400HP cars in total but only these six ran at Daytona Beach. We did not intend to built more than six cars but our Chrysler Division management insisted that we build a few more for their prestige “friends”. The “build” was completed in the “Header House” after assembly on the production line. (It was “build” because we had to make and install a floor pan patch to get the manual transmission in the car.)

I don’t remember building a 400HP car with an automatic transmission – but it’s possible. After the speed runs the team members went back to their regular jobs. We left Carl Pruehs (Manager of the Engineering Garage) with the problem of how to handle the executive requests for additional special 300F’s.

I hope you have good weather for your 300 Club Meet. Say “hello” to all my friends.

Burt

Sent from Mail for Windows