{Chrysler 300} 64 K park lock console shift

{Chrysler 300} 64 K park lock console shift

Has anyone experienced the following? My 64 K had just recently returned from an alignment shop where the car was parked on a steep incline for over 3 days. Afterwards, the console shifter now showed resistance when going into park. This later began causing the car not to go into reverse, nor start in park. So it got progressively more common.

Had the car up yesterday to adjust the park cable and inspect the shifter. The resistance was felt even with the cable loose at the transmission. I did spin the driveshaft to make sure it would lock in place.  I locked the cable back up pulling on the cable with the shifter in 1st per manual. Still resistance.  I then took off the shifter cover plate and the gate trim to inspect the shifter and just played with the lever again and Voila! The shifter move into place. I thought that the cover was somehow binding the lever.

I moved the shifter repeatedly and it moved forward into park without resistance. The car locked in park, started in park, and reverse was there once again. Moved the shifter repeatedly and the shut the car off with everything working.

Today was my second attempt taking the car back to the trim shop for work on the rear headliner rail. I backed out of the garage successfully this time and stopped to gas up.

Problem came back; resistance to place in park, no park start and no reverse.

Anyone experienced the same? What did you do to correct this?

Allan

---