Re: {Chrysler 300} Spark Plugs in 413./ NGK

Re: {Chrysler 300} Spark Plugs in 413./ NGK

Hi ,
Excellent info all correct and thank you Carl .

However I want to bring up another aspect of this . The plugs discussed and including the V power are to my knowledge all conventional design if they track the original champion heat ranges . They may use V ground with new tip   I do not know
That means the direct cross may use a substantial center electrode that we are used to seeing . And that is ok .

The modern high end plugs with rare element electrodes have a very small diameter center  electrode rod , almost like a  pin . The idea as I understand it is it gets hot much faster at startup ( awwwright ram cars!) but like the others not hot enough under high load to cause preignition leading to detonation ( not the same thing ) . Careful engineering of the heat path is how that happens .
You could not do this thin wire with earlier plugs , as the thin wire say of iron would burn right away in a few thousand miles . These special metals can take it , without chemical corrosion , but even better they run hotter or —better put — cleaner at lower engine  duties too - so they may effectively span several heat ranges of the older plug . Plus they are  chemically inert and burn themselves clean easily . The heavy electrode of the past had a lot more mass takes time to change temp . Once fouled tend to stay fouled .

 I would add from electrical view point the sharp point  encourages spark formation at a lower voltage  ( a function of edge sharpness or radius of tip ) . Old plugs wear to rounded off edges on center electrode . NGK and many others made a big deal of V shape or multiple ground electrodes etc etc . That is not the problem , although stability there helps . The issue is the center rod .

So with this metallurgy they will actually last 100k + in a real engine , helps new engines pass EPA long term emissions tests . The reason they exist , they fire cleanly .

But for us should be a huge improvement day to day —-and heat range fussiness is greatly reduced . It is better engineering — not just better made ( which NGK  is ) imho
As far as crossing , you would have to look up the chrysler B block in the NGK chart associated with this new design plug line and just follow it .
That is not the same as crossing to old champion numbers as you may then get old champion designs —but made by NGK?
I do not have hard info or all the numbers etc this e mail is just information .
I put them in my daily driver 4.0 jeep now at  220k . Originals in the jeep of the common design all  started random skipping at about 90 k . It immediately ran so much better and gas mileage went to almost 20 from  normal 17-18 (pre skipping ) . I am 100% convinced by the story and the test . They simply work better .
Just use the chart but start from the one for the new design plugs with thin wire tip . A step up , in design , not a  direct heat match .
On Rock  auto usually listed as one of the premium plugs for a given mopar app. Pricey but worth every cent . And same one may be listed for many B blocks . That is ok , due to wide heat range .
FYI , hope it helps
John

Sent from my iPhone