From: "John Grady"
To: "Keith Langendorfer"
Cc: "dplotkin", "Steve", "Chrysler list server"
Sent: Sunday December 18 2022 7:20:46AM
Subject: Re: {Chrysler 300} In Need of a Double Pulley with Fan for 1960 Chrysler or Imperial Generator or Whole Generator

Following just information :
I had an inverse problem where I put a mopar alternator from mid sixties onto a 37 Packard.
 It was a dual pulley as bought , but Packards  use B section belts , much wider than A section on our cars . I ended up making a pulley single groove but wide , after trying to remachine the original wider . Not enough raw metal width. All belts had a similar angle about 37 degrees .

Bent pulleys can be fixed for sure.

This brought up in my mind after reading the posts using a dual groove alternator pulley on these generators , but it is possibly too small in diameter , ? would spin generator a bit  faster . Check diameter , need not be exact . That might be ok , effect would be to improve charge but wear out brushes sooner . But still  probably 40 -50 k miles .
But aftermarket race pulley suppliers make oversize generally aluminum pulleys to slow down the mopar alternator on a race car to save hp  and to add reliability . Someone like March, summit or Jegs, 440 source ot Mancini may have this , however fan details for cooling ought to be considered . It needs a fan
This also brings up converting to a 60 A   2 post field  alternator , which is very easy , with 70’s era electronic  VR ( see 78 dodge truck for both) . Alternator on Rock auto was only 30$ . Reliable as can be . Parts everywhere .
AC cars had 40 A generator not 35 —-and 40 -And its regulator —is rare . Alternator ends that 35 A problem . Can also use earlier 1 wire 35-40  alternator like in a G or H . Have to fab a bracket on 60 or use G style ex manifold . ( also rare ) Use F generator mount as it sits , as a start , add a tab to it and spacers .

One last observation , I assume we know the fire wall on an ac car in 60 is totally different from the day it was built. Unless someone very skilled and meticulous cut it all up and put in pieces from an ac car and holes for ac unit , I don’t see how it can be “ converted “.

I know this because a California F I bought stripped and in prime in a 1000 piece basket ( 40 boxes) had firewall all chopped up by  attempting this - Why  it was a basket case . The integral part of the fire wall involving the air inlet  metal and door  is completely different . After a lot  of trying to figure out what was involved to finish , I ended up reversing what this guy had done . He had left out in planning his modification a sort of rain deflector / drain trough setup on top of inlet such that water would have run  in.
I had both an ac car and non ac nearby to compare and to guide all this .
One might consider add on , I found a 60 mopar Air Temp add on evaporator in the middle of this problem it is kinda cool looking ( hah) , mounts under glove box could use with vintage air or V2 setup under hood etc . Leaves stock  heater  .
I also had another F with an AC under package shelf add on . Could do that with one of the Hurricane boxes from one of the aftermarket AC guys in Texas
I don’t know your situation etc maybe you are good . Poking around into air intake under grill behind hood should tell the tale if modified .
Or maybe stock ac box is on car now? All this is done? Check options data as built ?

I realize way beyond that now , but just buying an AC F is way ahead of starting from scratch a conversion . Maybe Noel needs two F ! ( join that club!)

Related info , manual brake cars also have specific firewalls as MC is mounted at a different height , as pedal ratio to MC piston rod changes  This one however  can be changed by some drilling , reshaping etc and using dodge or plymouth parts including firewall MC plate , pedal , and pedal box. I assume stick car / clutch is the same deal , but have not done that. Thought about it ,for  833 4 speed F tribute car .
Maybe keep it simple make pulley , but fan comes up . If no fan integral with pulley, 500 seems high
35 A gen May be fine too . On a rainy night , no extended ac use maybe in city traffic .
Personally ,I’d go 70’s 60 A alternator .
Hope this helps ..
john g
Sent from my iPhone