Re: {Chrysler 300} Bulkhead Wires, over heating issues, typical of 1960'

Re: {Chrysler 300} Bulkhead Wires, over heating issues, typical of 1960's MOPAR -Wonky technical discussion. Headlights cutting out (1964).

Hi John and all,

As a follow up to the headlights cutting out, I ended up replacing all the headlamps in the 64 with current ones sold by Napa.  This would be H5006-N for the low beam and H5001-N for the high.  Wattage is advertised as stock (35 for low beam lamp; (not sure if it kicks up when switching to high beams), 50W for high beam lamp).  These bulbs made nowadays are halogen and, apparently, the older style aren’t made any longer.   Same problem occurred- after less than 5 minutes of switching to high beam all the headlights cut out and went on/off intermittently every few seconds or so.  I then replaced the headlight switch (p/n HL6571) which I’d already replaced a few years ago, with another of the same part number, and that seems to have fixed the problem.   Dunno if the internal circuit breaker went bad in the other switch but I ran the car a while with high beams on (15-20 minutes) and no issue with lights cutting out.  Have also driven the car at night since and no problems yet.

Thanks
D&K

Sent from my iPhone