{Chrysler 300} Dash Gauge Voltage Regulator

{Chrysler 300} Dash Gauge Voltage Regulator

Hi All,

A follow up. I ended up using the following on the 300K to mount the regulator for the gas and temp gauges.  https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/129/1830/3033T16

What happened was that while trying to put the booter in, I banged my hand against the unit and little plate that is spot welded to the can broke off. Bad spot welds.

I let the maker know about it, RT-ENG.com and they are working with me on it. What I did was to pry the tabs off the board and take the can and drilled a hole in it and mounted a machine screw in the lid to act as a stud. The printed circuit board is very flat even loaded so there is a lot of room in the can.

I then drilled the clamp, link above, between the bolt circle and the main clamp bolt and mounted their unit to it. By having a stud with an internal lock washer under the head of the can, and under the nut holding it onto the can, this provides a better ground path as the spot welds may or may not be too good. Also, the cleaning agents used prior to plating tend to leave bare metal under the plates which start rusting immediately and over time will cause ground issues. I could see the problem when the spot welds failed and the plate separated from the can. The plating does not get in there.

Also, with the stud, I ran a ground wire from the dash frame, under one of the column nuts, to this screw-stud and then up to the dash. The unit feed wires come down to the unit. As mounted, I can see the LED to make sure it is operational then rotate the clamp up to get everything out of the way and then tighten the clamp bolt. I mounted it on the lower large diameter section of the column.

I will get photos at some point and post them.

The nice thing is that on the road if carrying a spare, I can swap it out in 5 minutes without opening up the dash.

If one emails them in advance of an order, I am sure they would put in a screw to the cap before they ship. This provides a nice alternative to mounting it on the back of the dash and should work on many cars that have the regulator but the owners are not fond of trying to mount it on the back.

James

---