Re: {Chrysler 300} 64 300 valve stems 14" wheel

Re: {Chrysler 300} 64 300 valve stems 14" wheel

There were 2 "standard" size valve stems that were available back then - the original tubeless tires were frequently applied to earlier wheels with a large diameter hole - which accommodated a 5/8 inch diameter valve stem as i recall. Most wheels that were in service in 1954/55 when Tubeless became available could be used as tubeless - the exceptions being wire wheels and any with rust or damage around the sealing bead surface. The valve stems are referred to as 0.625 in diameter and are available as TR415 (Approx 1.25 in exposed length) or TR425 (Approx 2 in exposed length).

The later standard came in around 1957 as I recall - and was based on a 7/16 in stem rubber sealing diameter. These valve stems are referred to as 0.453 in diameter and are available in several effective lengths down to TR412 (~7/8 in) for wheel barrow / golf cart / ATV; TR413 (~1 1/4 in) standard for most uses; TR414 (~1 1/2 in); TR414L (~1 5/8); TR418 (~2 in); and TR423 (~2 1/2 in). The longer lengths came about for deep dish wheel covers but were prone to cutting if wheel covers were not very tight and tended to rotate on wheel. Hence the common use of the TR413 with metal extensions for such applications.

The above are all standard rubber pop-in valve stems applicable to our cars. There were also metal valve stems frequently bundled with 2 rubber washers - .453, .625, and an odd oval shaped washer (typically red in color) for a unique tubeless wheel that I personally have never seen in the real world back then or since.

There may be other standards particularly for high pressure truck applications and possibly for some TPMS applications, but the only valve stem diameters that were ever common from 1955-1975 were .625 or .453 in diameter.

Hope that helps