From: 'James Douglas' via Chrysler 300 Club International [mailto:chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2023 6:22 PM
To: dplotkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Chrysler 300 List Server (chrysler-300-club-international@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Subject: RE: {Chrysler 300} I hope I did not buy an engine with a problem...

Hi Guys,

When I first started the engine I had placed the distributor on my Sun Machine and it was dead on per the service manual.

I rebuilt the carb myself and was careful to double check all the settings. Although one cannot check that the emulsion tubes are good or the idle circuits are not hogged out due to years of lead gas ‘blasting” the passages.

I swapped the parts because I had left my vacuum gauge in SF like an idiot and it is a 160 mile round trip…it was easier to swap the parts I had on hand.

In a few days I will know for sure. But I think it may have been a combination of too cold spark plugs and too rich idle mixture screws.

I placed my vacuum gauge on it, now that I am back in SF, and had about 17 steady inches. The gauge was not swinging. It moved no more than a needle width at idle.

What I did notice was that I had opened the idle mixture screws, a few weeks back when I first started it, the listed amount of one to two turns open. I then set the mixture screws to rich best idle.

That was my mistake.

I decided to reset the screws in to lean best idle. Odd in that the passenger side went in a lot more than the driver’s side.  I did have to turn them in a lot before it wanted to tank the vacuum and start to burble the engine!

When I set it to lean best vacuum it settled down a good amount and the vacuum came up from 17 to 18 inches.. I took it out around the neighborhood with a lot of stop signs and the idle seemed to be good. So far, so good.

I then got it home and re-set the idle speed. That factory service notice from 1964 states that the idle should be at to 700 RPM with headlights on and in gear.  I did that and then I put in in Park and turned the headlights off the engine went to 850 to 900 RPM.

Is that the “normal” spread between loaded and not loaded RPM with a fresh engine?

Tomorrow is supposed to be a rainy day so I will let it sit in the garage. On Friday I have my normal car guy lunch across town on the Embarcadero on SF Bay and I will take it across town in all the stop and go traffic and see how it acts.

James