Re: {Chrysler 300} Temp Gauge issues

Thanks for the info.

On Wed, Mar 1, 2023 at 11:59 AM John Grady <jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
First , all this applies only to wound coil type
gauges ( they move up fast at turn on ) Don’t use this info directly on later thermal gauges) . Thermal take a few seconds to move up

if jumping around , it can be a loose or corroded wire —most likely , — especially right at the temp sender ( broken inside fitting or loose fit )
To troubleshoot fully * put an analog voltmeter on + dc power at gauge , leave on floor if it jumps when gauge does , trace back the power lead . if ok , steady 12 , move the analog meter + lead to gauge terminal on back of gauge .
If wire or the sensor itself opens up it will jump full scale to 12 , (?= open circuit to gauge then — it grounds variably through the sender ) Normal reading is somewhere in middle . If v meter drops  to zero (and gauge goes to hot)  , the wire is shorting to ground somewhere .  If meter drops to zero  and gauge goes to C , there is an intermittent open in the gauge itself , no power is coming out to sender .
To separate wire issues from the sender , repeat same test by extending a wire from right at sender , or just unplug sender , gauge should stay on C ,    drive around ( if it jumps to H , you have a wire short ) Then  short wire to ground solidly with clip lead, gauge should stay on H . If that happens , wire and gauge is ok , ( * can do this first too , —- might save time ) ; success on this indicates sender is bad ( loose connection inside ? ) Beware —- senders sold to fit our cars are usually wrong ohms , some  kind of Chinese universal . Scale will be off . Like gas tank units . Try to pull one off a junk motor or junkyard . any 56-59 mopar
probably same .
Sometimes needle mechanically sticks or goes too far toward C ( or E) ( need to add a  stop) and it sticks there , no electric issue existed at  all . Go over a bump you look down today it is working !  This really baffled me  once , i think mr Meritt wrote that up in tech .

hope this helps ..
John G
Sent from my iPhone