{Chrysler 300} 3 good things to know

---

JPEG image

Item 1
Enclosed is a picture of a stock
mopar steel fuel filter ; as you can see ethanol destroys galvanized steel . In service since 1978 . Note inside of cup on left and end cap on filter on right . Attacked , and the bad residue is  obvious
It says use plastic filter to me . The brown junk was also inside the carburetor after the gas dried out, so parts of filter on output side of filter did this too . Stopped car dead , but it ran 10 miles at 80 mph running great because mixture rods lift up in the jets at wot ,  ( carter ) , but that flow pulls junk into / around jet , then when you lift foot they drop and junk and rod together stop flow , will not idle , you stall dead on off ramp . Can’t keep it running .
Makes me wonder about inside of fuel line and tank . use new nickel lines , copper or stainless ?
huge pia . we need to think hard about this .

item 2 ; reading old 1955 Dodge service notes to dealers ( part of 270 baby hemi build) . Two interesting takeaways : First , you can test a fuel pump on the car with vacuum gauge ; it should pull 10” vacuum ( about -5 psi) . Related to any fuel system issues , ? is it good or not?  as FP inlet valve is the culprit ….  interesting go/ no go number .

Item 3,
same source , complaints about delayed drive engagement, and why . This relates to the “ converter drain back issue “ which drives us crazy . why some cars —and not others ?
turns out it is front pump clearance , should be .0015 to .0022 . If too much it drains back or won’t prime easily . Measure with parallel bar and feeler gauges trans facing up., after removing pump housing . To fix they show dressing down the face of housing on sheet of emory or “ crocus cloth” . on a glass plate ( 1955 was wonderful ) .
This was powerflight , but pictures look the same . This problem was there day one . They also talk of selective fit gaskets or no gasket ( put it back like it was ) . Don V knows far more than I do on this , but first time I ever saw a service bulletin on it .,
FYI
John G

---