{Chrysler 300} RE: A/C Clutch different designs

{Chrysler 300} RE: A/C Clutch different designs

James,

First off, I hope you know the easy way to remove the clutch from the pump. The end of the clutch is threaded in its center hole – it might be 5/8 course thread but could be a little different. Grip the big end plate while turning a bolt down in those threads. The bolt will strike the end of the compressor shaft and the clutch will pop off. Alternatively you can turn on your key and activate your A/C system without starting the engine. This will hold the pulley while you turn the bolt in – but that only works if you have the belts on the engine and you have power to the compressor. And watch that you don’t damage the point set as you remove the clutch.

The clutch unit you describe is the pre-’60 type - about 7.5” diameter. They work perfectly fine and the bearings are built for the pressure. The belt tension puts more stress on the bearings than the weight of the clutch does. Maybe the heavy old clutch takes a horsepower off the engine each time it engages, but you won’t really notice it because the pump itself will be under a light load right at that point. And BTW if the plate drags or the coil won’t pull in, you can adjust how close that end plate is to the coil body. There are three screws on the plate for that. Set the clearance on it such that it just barely does not drag all the way around. If that doesn’t fix it, the coil may have a short in it.

I have never seen a “little rubber pickup” with the brushes mounted to it. I have only seen the pair with a stamped mount and coil springs – on the same idea as distributor points. They are very easy to bend or break when putting the clutch on and off the pump. Be careful, you can’t fix ‘em and they are hard to find available anymore. The rubber mount sounds like an aftermarket solution.

I’m not sure the induction type of clutch like you picked up can be mounted to the front of your particular compressor. You have the earlier style of compressor and it may not have the mount points for the coil.

I’m sure Mopar made the change for improvements in technology and cost when they went to the induction style.

Keith Boonstra

-