{Chrysler 300} 300D Project

I've been a member of the club ever since I bought this 300-D project years ago and this list server is a great resource for information so I figured I would send an email to get some input from the club.

I bought this 300 D out of collection in New Mexico awhile back of course thinking that it was a west coast car. Once it arrived back here and I did some research I found out it was originally sold out of PA and it was taken out west. It came with a 1958 New Yorker parts car (which actually is a west coast car) that is all together except the 392 was removed.

Previous owner had taken the 300 D all apart to restore and then it just sat for years in the desert. So it showed up here with no front end sheet metal installed no trans or engine and the  interior and dash was removed except for the back seat so of course there are boxes and boxes of parts. For some reason they also tore the engine down to the bare block. Looking at the frame the rear sections from the rearend back are almost completely rusted out and for some reason the tortion bar cross member looks like someone tried cutting it out with cutting torch and stopped. Makes sense why it came with the New Yorker because I guess the previous owner was planning on using the clean west coast frame out of that car to use to replace the one in the 300-D.  Body has the normal rust, rockers and parts of the floor but overall it looks pretty solid and all the glass is in good shape.

This is a very large project that I'm starting to relize that I don't have the time or really the expertise to tackle. Majority of my experience has been working on late 60s Mopars. Question is are there still people out there looking for 300-D projects this big or seeing that the frame is so screwed up would it be best just to part the car out to help other 300s get restored? It does have the numbers matching engine that goes to the car and it was special ordered Shell Pink originally. Of course someone painted it black in the past but you can see the shell pink poking through in certain areas.  Below is the info I have on the car.

Thanks for any input or opinions you have.

Bill Lowman
Baltimore, MD

LC4 1144
1958 Chrysler 300D 2 Door Hardtop Coupe (592)
Standard 300D Tan Leather Interior (016)
Paint Code (RRR), Shell Pink
Blue Streak Nylon White S/W 9.00x14 WW Width ~2.625" (77)
Power Seat - 6 Way (303)
Power Windows (304)
Antenna - Power (334)
Instant Heat Heater (347)
Electro Touch Tuner Radio (443)
Solex with Shaded Upper Portion Rear Window (469)
Stone Shield (481)
Axle Ratio 3.31 (553)
30 Amp 5" Frame Generator - Low Cut In - No A/C - with Gas Heater (571)
Domestic Drive (611)
Region 17 - Pittsburgh
Dealer 8917 - The Leitenberger Machine Co., Inc., Johnstown, PA
Shipping Order 1105 504
Scheduled 11/5/57
Date Built 11/7/57
Date Shipped 11/11/57