Re: {Chrysler 300} 1964 Windshield and Rear Window Seals

Re: {Chrysler 300} 1964 Windshield and Rear Window Seals

My advice on window seals - Save your original window seals whenever possible….do not just cut the glass out thinking you’ll find a suitable replacement because you often can’t.

Even some of the driest crappy looking seals can often be saved by soaking them in Gojo (original) hand cleaner with lanolin. Many members here have tried this with good results. 20 years ago I brought back to life the front and rear seals from a ’65 300 that spent its life in the Bay Area of California. While working on the body and every other part of the car, the seals were first hung and brushed regularly with Gojo, the original formula without the abrasive. They started out very hard and felt like they would crack if I bent them too much but after a couple weeks of soaking they became much more pliable. I wiped them, then hosed them off before putting them in a large tote bin where I continued to brush them and keep them coated until I needed them.

When they came out months later I brushed them and rinsed them again and they looked and felt like brand new! Amazing actually. They glass was reinstalled in 2003 and to this day the seals look and feel great.

Anyone parting out these cars should be taking care to try and save not only the glass but the seals. So often the seal is sacrificed to easily remove the glass but we really should be trying to salvage both. In a parts car being scrapped I would go as far as cutting the body away from the seals if they weren’t cracked.

My two cents for today.

Ryan Hill
Vancouver, B.C.