{Chrysler 300} Special Request for 1962 Data

{Chrysler 300} Special Request for 1962 Data

A special request to the owners of 1962 Chrysler 300H’s and any other 1962 Chrysler or Imperial:

I’m working on an Excel-based decoder for the VIN and Body Data Plate tags for all 1962-1965 Chryslers and Imperials.  I have completed the 1963-1964 portion with a lot of help from my friends with those cars and am now trying to expand the coverage to 1962 and 1965 cars.  Today’s focus is on the 1962’s and my request is for a photo or transcription of the tags on your car. Plus, information on the equipment and options actually on the cars.  With this data and the order codes, I feel I can deduce what the numbers on Line 4 (under the letters on Line 3) refer to. Many of the numbers on Line 3 are 1’s or 2’s and that is the challenge.  What a car does not have on it is just as important as what it does have on it.

Below is a checklist of order codes for Chryslers.  I realize that not all of these codes will show up on the Body Data Plates/BDP/Fender Tags, but please check them off anyway.  I have a special desire to see a BDP from a stick ’62 Chrysler to resolve the meaning of the number under the “H”.  Data from cars or wagons with unusual options, loaded to stripper, would  be much appreciated.

When completed, the decoder will be made widely available at no charge.  When I get the 1962 portion well along, I’ll decode your car and send you the report.  The VIN and BDP are decoded separately and the VIN is not required for a good report.  It does make the report more complete and suitable for framing.  A copy of the decoder report for our fairly well loaded ’64 300K is attached.

If you have trod this path before and have BDP decoding insight for any of the letter cars, please share that with me.

If you happen to have a ’62 Imperial, please advise as I have a different checklist for them.

Expect a similar request for 1965 300L’s and other 1965 Chryslers or Imperials.

Thank you in advance for your data. Photos or transcriptions of the plates plus a list of the Order Codes on your car would be most helpful. Ideas for inclusion or format of the report are solicited.  Yes, I’m already thinking about going back to the 1955 cars. The 1960-1965 Body Data Plates have the same or similar format and the 1955-59 BDP’s are pretty simple.  We’ll cross that bridge together when we come to it.

Rich Barber

1801 Redwine Terrace

Brentwood CA 94513-6000

c300@xxxxxxx

(H) 925-513-6583

(M) 925-783-4893

1962 CHRYSLER COMPONENT ORDER CODES

ON   CAR

ORDER CODE

DESCRIPTION

ON   CAR

ORDER CODE

DESCRIPTION

342

TorqueFlite Automatic Transmission (?)

421

Clock, electric

351

Power steering

428

Windshield washer dual jet

352

Power brakes

429

Variable speed windshield wipers

353

Power seat

431

Glass, all windows tinted

354

Power windows

432

Windshield only tinted

357

Power door locks – vacuum

433

All windows tinted with large shaded rear window

358

Auto Pilot

442

Bumper guards rear

362

Golden Tone radio

451

Wheel Covers

363

Golden Touch Tuner radio

465

Chrome molding, door window frame

364

Golden Tone radio including rear seat speaker

466

Drip rail cover molding

365

Golden Touch Tuner radio including rear seat speaker

467

Chrome molding, door window frame & drip rail cover

369

Radio rear seat speaker, with groups 321, 323

471

Sill moldings and stone shields

371

Power antenna

482

Outside left remote control mirror

381

Air Conditioner includes heater

492

Inside tilt type mirror

382

Air Conditioner dual unit includes heater

506

Firepower 340. Single 4 barrel carburetor 413 Cu In, dual exhaust system

383

Air Conditioner with groups 321, 323, 327 & 328 only

511

Closed crankcase ventilation

385

Heater with defroster