Re: {Chrysler 300} 300C brake drums

Hi , the following may be way more than it  merits on this ,or than you want to know ,for which I apologize   but it is sharing a long journey .

i have done that too , the smaller AAJ disc that fits in 14” wheels is good, but theoretically and practically about the same or even less brake stop  torque  = even less whoa  power , — to me anyway — than stock (?stock working right) due to small active diameter or moment arm of the clamp force  compared to a 12” drum . Physics , — unless way high psi boost . Which then locks rear . And for us , there is a lack of psi in 1960 , not needed . compared  to a  GM disc car . Let’s call it 67 dart level disc brakes on a much larger car . But yes idiot proof to get to work right .

The real Problems with brake fade with our drums has to be purposely induced — by 2-3 stops from 100 mph , or mountain driving — that  issue is true — and is due to the energy you have to dissipate when stopping a heavy car.

the same total heat goes into a disc or drum , the ability to soak that up depends only on the weight or mass of rotating part  but a disc cools way faster . Can do it again sooner . Does it really matter in a 300 ?  Maybe in mountains ..
Huge 60 Buick aluminum over steel 3x 12” drums with aluminum fins are the best answer , as that race 300 B ( or a stock 60 Buick) shows . . Hot rod guys used those  30 years ago still do  Look way cool too . Note that cooling has nothing to do with initial stopping fast , the first few times , - with systems cold . Only shoe area and diameter . gotta love the 3” wide . ours are 2.5

I also like the feel of total contact drum progressive action , discs are  totally different , you really have to stomp very hard to get a lot of whoa on conversions . Disc power systems usually  have higher boost  pressures by design, will  cover that issue up in stock use .

And that brings on the front / rear balance issue , cannot balance the over all pressures on a mixed system vs whoa.  Inherently different due to drum self energizing

I got into “ proportional valves “ over that , as from an engineering perspective you cannot reduce pressure “proportionally “ without say stepped hydraulic cylinders etc . The little valve is too small and cheap a thing to have that . real race cars have two masters and a balancing beam between them to adjust or  accomplish that ,  Yes to that, and someone once made a stepped bore master …

So what is in proportioning valve ? Questions to guys selling them show completely zero understanding , beyond “ you need it, and ours has a chrome knob” and “famous brand in brakes “ ( but their famous fixed calipers suffer from  knock back of pucks in corners , you may crash , pedal travel changes erratically due to puck knock back between uses = wrong  design , ( Can’t  say that to the experts though ) GM caliper is correct , centers itself

So I took a proportional valve  apart . What was in it was a needle valve .
 Now , that slows flow  , but end point pressure, and so stop power after a ? short delay has to be identical . So what it is doing is ? delaying back brakes , so fronts  do a lot more work — for ? fractional seconds? this is BS to me . And more applicable to front disc rear drum to stop a rear drum self energizing quickly  lock up on a sudden hard stop .
Nothing “proportional“  about that . If it said “ brake delay valve” might sell a few less .. laugh . But for average driver it is functional , sort of .

The last F I did i put the AAJ large disc , to try to improve on all this on a manual
master ,  needs 15” wheels , I used 17 to get good Michelin  tires . There are no really good 14” tires , — way more limiting thing than the brakes too

And , my dad had a 60 dodge V8 brand new , no power brakes , — but had our same total contact leading shoe setup . Fantastic brake  feel , without power —- and the  two leading shoes you could readily lock brakes , no power —- but well before that , a beautiful controllable feel .I want that again  Perfect front / back balance too , no vacuum bs either .

Mopar always changed the pedal ratio and master bore on manual . They knew their brake  stuff cold, it was designed as a system by smart guys . Conceptually two leading shoes is the very best , but tricky to work on.  Like a hemi .. or dual
points ..

Except for all the machining  to do it    , and 5” bolt pattern , Buick drums on mopar 12” total contact backing plates , no boost should be , probably are, the best brakes you could do on a road  car , like that  current road  race B has —  and probably all the B nascar winners were manual ,   ? big imperial drums ( were they power brakes? I bet not ) .

Buick did not have two leading shoes, I dont think any GM or Ford ever did. Even mopar gave up in 63 , — only due to service difficulties .

A runner up to Buick on our cars is a disc  , with rear discs  to avoid balance issue. I did that too on an F , custom made Cad rear discs to get good disc e brakes onto a dana 60 , but still the AAJ small fronts . Imperial had that on 60 in 74 era , but an unreliable design of small drum brake inside  disc ,
You really need a power booster on “all discs“  , especially  small discs to get enough stop , found that out the hard way

So the evolution , = now the big AAJ disc front brakes , a Dana with 12” Ford drums ,( to get a reasonable E brake setup )  “proportioning “ to rear  ( can  just leave it  open, TBD)  manual  Corvette master( many bore sizes available ) large reservoirs ( discs take more CC to move it)! - our stock pedals thus move down too much-with didc conversion / especially small bore / or no boost —or stock  drum boosted  master — all subjectively )

The  hood  is increased whoa of big discs with small bore big reservoir master  removes need for  boost . tbd
Corvette needs are like mine ! It works there  , although corvette disc calipers are a horror show .
Maybe one day do the Buick thing , no boost,
just like a stock F has but no boost , better drums in front  .( called  going full circle?) runner up is 100 % stock F with manual pedal parts like Dodge . I think the “Big Red 62 “ competition car we saw in Pa . was like that
We know Buick swap works, that big heavy race B is right there on road races with all the Euro hot shot 4wd discs , and is driven today ,Great “you tube “ of that car somewhere , gets into brakes

Of course today’s huge discs and computer controls , elaborate boost , traction control  set up , fix all that . I don’t  want that stuff .

To get that all you need is a down payment ,
can even buy a nice leather bra for the front , and service contract for 3500 .

Or get a silver camry . laugh
jkg

Sent from my iPhone