RE: {Chrysler 300} 300C brake drums

I have no experience when it comes to the AAJ kit - so it may be great.  However, when considering whether to fit 11 discs to my 300C years ago, I was concerned that this size is on my Valiant which is 350 kg lighter.  Also, it is matched to 10” rear drums, not 12”.

So I thought I would stick to the original design and see how it goes.  Fingers crossed.  There are old videos on youtube comparing the braking of a 57 Chrysler with the competition at the time.  The Chrysler always pulled up quicker and in a straight line compared to other brands which were quite shocking.

Anyway, that is when they were new and I can appreciate the difficulties in trying to replicate that new car feel 65 years later.  I did find a local guy who ground my shoes to match the drums – hooray.

To modify brakes over here you have to get them approved to a regulatory standard that ensures at least minimum performance is maintained.  Believe me (because that was my job and I wrote this stuff) that the minimum standard is very low and would probably scare most people since manufacturers always do better in that regard.  If I was still at Qld Transport, I might have been able to convince a friendly Transport Inspector to sneak my car over the brake rollers at an Inspection Centre to put some numbers on the performance.

If anyone wants to actually do some testing so you can compare apples with apples, have a look though the code of practice here.  If someone has a decelerometer, it might be a fun activity for an afternoon at a Club meet to see who has the best brakes.  https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/sites/default/files/migrated/vehicles/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/files/NCOP5_Section_LG_Brakes_V2_01Jan2011.pdf

I am not saying anyone has to do this because I have no idea what your jurisdications do or care about vehicle modifications.  I doubt that AAJ have bothered doing this sort of testing otherwise they would be advertising the fact like “our kit makes your Chrysler stop 37% quicker!”  However, we have laws here to stop modifiers from killing themselves or others on the road.  So if I did go down the path of fitting front and or rear discs, the above testing and approval process is legally required for me.  However, I would probably go the whole hog and buy 15’ wire wheels and tyres and look for 12’ discs.

Henry in Brisbane Australia