Re: {Chrysler 300} 300B wire harness recommendations

Re: {Chrysler 300} 300B wire harness recommendations

Hi Dan , exactly what I was advocating , Tom
is doing too  . … and it works perfectly on 300 with plastic insulation . you have to stagger well made tight wrap sleeved solder  joints to avoid a bump , —- leave the big under dash wrapped loom as it is . Sometimes you need to add a new wire outside though if otherwise ok harness has one burned .And not shorted to another .

I have done two F/G main harnesses that had come off cars — one with an engine fire , other had shorted at the kick panel sharp edges . sold as  parts harness , nothing left on engine side of firewall , took a day each and a big table , after buying the wire , almost have to buy rolls to get right stuff, Napa wire not right , chinese junk . Waytek is a good source for auto wire but $ — sometimes using the old ends  salvaged, other times improvising with newer fittings .
I liked doing it , frankly .Did both at once  Both are in cars .

I noticed on the G harness they added an inline factory fuse not on print about 2 A in power feed to EL power pack . Must have had shorts there in F model year due to failed pack —- that will burn out headlight switch  dimmer . I have never seen that short myself but plenty of burned  headlight dimmers

I have to disagree with Ron , no way are you changing a single strand from say ignition switch to starter relay without destroying all the wrapping and getting yourself into  a huge mess .

Bare wire / no insulation under a 57 plymouth dash with plastic wire is for sure caused  by a bungled repair attempt that shorted the wires . I have seen that exact thing on 57-58 Dodges .
There are three different circuits using the same gauge yellow wire — you hook it up wrong , the wire explodes after you connect battery often damaging the whole harness .But only the first time ( nice touch) that you open a door and poof
The door switch yellow wires ground only when you have a door open , or turn on
interior lights at dash  switch . some of the other yellow have 12 V on them unfused . ( i think start circuit to push buttons and solenoid . Crossed up by someone)  . Some yellow are hidden in big harness adding to the thrill . Which are which ? Tag all wires or a picture, easy to get wrong . classic result of this is no lights when you open door, you find  burned to bare yellow wires hanging down  .

So , no wire change fixes human error . takes a while to figure this all out, if  you come at it sometime later , wires in wrong  places  splices , balls of tape  etc  ,—-  I ended up cutting off all the yellow ends coming out of the harness  ( about 5) and running new yellow wires outside harness following FSM .

Dodge , Plymouth Chrysler harnesses and colors almost the same  .

Rubber though —- once hard , it cracks and can’t get replacement wires / colors . Often hard to solder too as rubber does something to copper  surface , have to scrape clean . Time for new harness if cracking rubber .. sooner or later it falls apart ..

Brings up keep it original , as rubber ( I did on Y n Z Packards ) but while doing it , I had a lot of second thoughts . Depends  if concours ? Will fail again ? Stiff , thick wires . Does not like bending to shape — If a driver car I would at least think  about reproducing it in a modern wire
A good wire  for this is called AWM , UL code means “appliance wiring material . “
jg
Sent from my iPhone