Re: {Chrysler 300} Dodge / Burt / Chrysler etc hemi efforts at Indy ,53-

Re: {Chrysler 300} Dodge / Burt / Chrysler etc hemi efforts at Indy ,53-55

John: There is a pretty good summary of this activity on page 17 of Robert Ackerson's book titled "Chrysler 300 America's Most Powerful Car". I have seen one of the special engines that survives hidden in a building at the north end of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway grounds. The museum has a large "stash" of cars and parts "hidden" there. I was not allowed to take photos. The actual "tire test" car survives still running an early hemi. It is owned by Joe Freeman and is actively vintage raced today.

On Tuesday, September 19, 2023 at 11:41:47 AM UTC-5 jkg wrote:
thank you ! i was aware of that , but later 55 , Tony Capanna ( wilcap ) ran a 270 dodge . — trying to track that down .
did great but blew up in qualifying !

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 19, 2023, at 11:25 AM, Jugle <laj...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> The story I heard was the hemi car was banned by USAC officials. (It was allowed on a rule that allowed "stock car parts). The car was then used for some time by tire testing on the track, for some ten years!!
> L.A. Jugle
> Elmhurst, Illinois
>> On 09/19/2023 8:32 AM CDT John Grady <j...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> Hi ,
>> anyone have info on this ? Although it blew up twice it did exceptionally well .
>> Apparently not in official records which I do not understand .
>> I am in a discussion with a great magazine editor looking into history of Indy engines , i know about this , details from memory — but he says not in the official records , Odd ,?? long story too long for here, but i do know it happened .
>> Thanks , John
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> --
>> For archives go to http://www.forwardlook.net/300-archive/search.htm#querylang