Re: {Chrysler 300} 1964 grill studs

Hi ,
I had a (similar ?) problem with studs on 60 F plate frame , which was / is essentially a hollow U shape in back with thin  die cast pins sticking out into trunk  , secured with push on tinnerman clips  that bite into it , broken off .
Because front of U  is only 1/8”  thick cannot tap etc , although on two efforts  to duplicate it in brass casting and in die injected plastic, I  made that hollow part a solid infill as cast so I could tap it . Ok on brass especially . on plastic , epoxy the thread into a drilled hole .

However I learned ( thinking from engineering aspect ) that obviously even a 4/40 brass screw is more than strong enough in tension to hold on any trim securely if tightened just enough , yet small diameter gives you wiggle room vs  hole in car body . Use flat washer and lock washer inside
So if back of trim is hollow in profile and you can clean out , or drill , ( whatever ) putting a 3/4” 4/40 flat head brass screw in there and then pouring a blob of JB weld over it , possibly with copper  wire embedment around screw to hold it in precisely right place and vertical may salvage your piece .
I do not know the cross section of that piece, better if a re entrant  edge  like most long skinny trim has, but this general idea really works well if applicable … on all trim . possibly toughen up inside too ?
same idea on medallion numbers using 2/56 stainless or brass with the thread into a close fitting drilled hole in die cast number back …

hope this helps ..
j g
Sent from my iPhone