{Chrysler 300} Re: Dot 5 Brake fluid

I have really tried to stay out of this conversation, but I am not very smart, so here is my DOT 5 experience. I have used it since 1977 in over 100 cars with no problems. As long as you do not shake the container, I find it easy to bleed ( I always used "gravity" as my first preference, then will vacuum bleed if needed, depending upon the vehicle). DOT 5 fluid easily aerates and it then takes a few hours for the small bubbles to disperse and go away. I do change it every 10 years because it get feeling guilty (and I want to inspect the old fluid), but it is probably good for much longer. It can be harder to gravity bleed as it is a higher viscosity than regular fluid and you can tell as the fluid flow will slow down as the DOT 5 moves through the system when bleeding. I do not use DOT 5 fluid in the vintage race cars, as it has a temperature "window" of compressibility. In other words, there is a temperature range in which the fluid becomes compressible (though it is fine above this "window") and the brake pedal will go to the floor like there is air in the system.  This is at a pretty high temp and you will never encounter it in hard street driving. I won't get into how I convert the cars, as that will set everybody's hair on fire.

Dyke Ridgley