RE: {Chrysler 300} Re: 1962 300 Sport - Front End Kit

RE: {Chrysler 300} Re: 1962 300 Sport - Front End Kit

Since I just went through the process, I can provide a couple of insights. I purchased my kit from Atlas (MoparMall) down in Temecula CA. Closer for shipping.

They screwed up the order. Also, I had issues with the parts some of which came from Rare Parts. In no particular order:

  1. You can go with a rubber bush idle arm or a Moog kit that uses bearings. I like bearings as you can choose how much pre-load you want on the bearings or non at all.
  2. The lower control arm bushings some are selling are too big on OD. I had to “work” the outside of them and freeze them over night to get them to go it. I also had to chamfer bot the OD sleeve and the control arm ends so they would go in. Look at the list over the last couple of weeks to see a lead for someone that has some that I think, but do not know, has lower control arm bushings that are 1.508 inch. More than that and it will be fun to get in.
  3. The center bar with the built in tie rods on the aftermarket, I think Rare Parts, has tie rode heads that are MUCH taller then the factory. They come way too close to the torsion bars. Depending on specific geometry one may have to worry about the grease nipples hitting. Particularly on the idle arm side as there is variation as to exactly where they welded the idle arm bracket. I measured a couple, and they are not exactly the same at least on a 1963 and 1964.
  4. Cam adjusters. Although some disagree with me on the principle that the torque is what keeps the thing from moving, just know that the available units have a flat all the way down the bolt and as such they do move in the control arm bushing when not tight. I am concerned if the “torque” for any reason does not hold that the control arm can move up and down and will cause premature wear. I like that bolt to be a good fit in the OD of the upper control arm bushings.
  5. It is a pin in the butt to get the bushing into the, what were considered not rebuildable, sway bar bushings. Be prepared to fight with them.

My two cents worth.  James.