Re: {Chrysler 300} 64 K Cross Ram

Carl has the expected experience ,E choke a step up I am in totally favor of . I have the parts but have not gotten around to it . I have several with no heat at all and one F that we converted to manual choke over addressing the high idle issue—  not working fast enough without some heat
That manual choke is tricky to do as high idle cam locks choke you can’t pull it out unless you step on gas , it is not just simplistically move the choke plate manually by a cable There are special links and springs to do that right .

But even with no heat it is manageable on a normal temp day , just give it a few minutes to settle down . Yes there are trades , I’ll take them .
A good compromise is no flap , keep elbows and 1/4” holes in elbows . for some flow . Copper sheet is good , or as Don says core plug works for him with hole in it —  looks stock no one knows leave heat spring etc outside . .
I have been working on an old  Packard ( 47 coupe six) and I went through a lot of effort and manifold machining , making plate covers , to separate exhaust manifold from intake ( normally bolted solid) and got rid  of flap , as another packard I had ran way too hot at carb  , sometimes boiling modern gas A 60 Buick I have does this too .
Packard guys will screech ,—-  as they sit by side of road with “ vapor lock”
Then I added spacer under Packard carb 1/2” aluminum with water in 3/8” hole through . I expect good things! More power no boiling .

Related , what some people call “ vapor lock” is often fuel boiling in the carb erratically  . First of all your fuel cannot boil in gasoline  under pressure between pump and carb , and if it did it would still obviously be pushed—-  boiling  gas and vapor — right through when needle opens . But can’t happen in first place , as pressurized there — so insulating that line does nothing . But it can boil  in float bowls . idle goes crazy in hot traffic , flooding etc

Where real vapor lock is most likely is at inlet line to fuel pump or in fuel pump , due to low pressure in tank feed line caused by suction . . Packard had that issue, even with older gas so it came with heat shield, often thrown away by “ expert mechanic” . Mine was missing.  The   exhaust pipe near fuel line or pump causes this, or hot air  in their case, so  pump seems to be protected by shield shape from radiator air  blowing on it . You cannot pump vapor , in pump ,  so car stops .
So you can pick and choose ,  I think  Carl landed same place I did .
I was first motivated on all this by a melted ram floor under carb and poor warm up / running too , traced to stuck flap . This whole thing , in my opinion as an engineer , on first ram , was a half  baked design . Why ultimate F 405 did not use it . They knew…
Bigger fish to fry than fight with this …
I have plan one day to do one water heated and Edelbrock carb too , or maybe machine for AVS on a water heated J ram
Sent from my iPhone