{Chrysler 300} QQD Door Tubes

The door tubes as delivered by QQD fir the ’64 Chrysler do not work. The problem is the base is not the correct size to fit the retainer. In fact, the screws do not even go through the rubber. So, when you open the door the drag on the “slider” pulls the tube out of the retainer.

You can see the issue in the photos.

My solution was to get some plastic lids at the hardware store for paint mixing cups. I then rigged up a derrick to hang the tubes just shy of the lids. I then poured some Plasti Dip into the lids just to cover the bottom and even with the tube base.

I then placed a bunch of fiberglass strands, pulled from a sheet of fiberglass, in a pattern of over the top of existing base and the wet Plasti Dip. I then poured more on top to cover the existing base. It then sat for a week while I was out of town.

When I got back, I took a pair of scissors and cut the thing down to about a 3 inch circle. I then could peel the plastic lid off of the base. I then slip the retainer over the thing and marked it. I then cut it out and now had a proper base. I used a hole punch to cut the screw holes.

I did one side yesterday and opened and closed the door a bunch of times and it stayed put.

As a note to QQD. Remake the mold with the base on these with a 3-inch diameter and just let folks cut it to shape themselves. It would save a lot of time and trouble. I hate paying for something then having to spend this amount of time to make it correct. A 3-inch circle would take 10 minutes to cut to shape and punch the hole as opposed to a couple of hours and days waiting for it to dry.

James

---