{Chrysler 300} More on Torsion Bars

I received the 1964 New Yorker torsion bar anchors yesterday. I measured them and they are in fact longer than the 300 units.

I measured the 1964 300K units and they are about 4.5 inches long. Now I did thing under the car on the sidewalk so if anyone has a set out and can confirm that, it would be good to double check.  The New Yorker units come in at about 7-3/8 inches long. The “Hex” is 4-3/4 inches back from the front of the anchor.

The front of the anchor to the centerline of the bolt-swivel is 3 inches on the New Yorker unit. It would be interesting to see of the 300 unit is the same, but until I can get the car on the lift or if someone has one on the shelf to measure, I don’t know if that is the same on the 300/Newport units.

This does open up some interesting opportunities on torsion bars for 1963 and 1964.

There are some bars being made that are between 40 and 44 inch that may be able to be used. With a longer anchor, one could machine a hex that would fit into the deeper anchors and then index in a bar. Of course, it would need to be hard material and sent out for hardening. But the point is that with no one making 40 inch bars, this is a path to have some choices.

James

---