Re: {Chrysler 300} Generator Rebuild

hi Jim
If the armature is undamagrd ( not burned and no melted solder ) the rest of it is very simple to “ rebuild “ . New bearings and brushes is all it takes and about an hour once bearings are replaced ( machine shop or you , or buy a  kit with arbors to press in brass bushings , )It may not need that either(?obvious)  ,,although the ball bearing if it has one should be changed . get number off it they are standard or measure .
There is much transfer of $ for nothing on these, imho .
What does go wrong  is the bearings can go , the brushes wear ( 100 k mile stuff ) I don’t think   anyone today can rewind one , i have never once seen the need for that  . not once in 50 years . And I would first find another armature it junk generator . You can get field coils but I have  seen problems there unless way over oiled ( unlike starters )

What is really common is the brushes get stuck in their holders while stored and   do not slide out against the commutator ., so after storage you get a few seconds then nothing or nothing at all . Don’t  lube just clean and free them .90 % of time you are done , if it was  working when parked. In fact no charge after storage IS this.   Can sometimes free  by tapping or through the end . Sometimes the springs that push the brushes rust .
Another aspect is all plymouth dodge etc use essentially the same generator , it is not specific to 300 or even chrysler in 35 A 12 v size ( not ac ) although mechanical mounts may vary some the guts or whole unit will interchange .
Brush and bearing kits are readily available . , as is pulley puller

if burned ( i have never seen that , can only happen if you mess with VR settings — (so  never do that) or a short in field wire , but most  often by “golden finger”  pressing down the cutout relay in VR ( nothing else to do ) . It will lock in with engine stopped , battery flows into generator while stopped till battery dies ,  burns it . Disconnect battery right away ; even better don’t open VR —- if you do never press on relays “ to see what happens”
Jg
Sent from my iPhone